Friday, April 4, 2008

The Flip Side - Do Adjusters Make Good Lawyers?

How about the flip side – Do adjusters make good attorneys?

Some adjusters get bitten by the law “bug” when they work in claims. They may work with attorneys so closely they start to think, “Hey, I could do that!” I have known a few attorneys who started out as claim adjusters, went to law school, got their J.D. degree, passed the bar and then entered private practice. One down side is that this process may take a minimum of three years, maybe longer. There may be an opportunity cost to the adjuster-turned-law student in that while they are attending law school, they cannot maximize their earnings from being a claims adjuster.

Some adjusters are gnawed by the perceived lack of pay, prestige and cache that goes with being “just an adjuster.” They may romanticize the life of a lawyer (even if they don’t see days spent by associates in windowless conference rooms, tediously going through boxes of documents under the guise of production!).

On the other hand, adjusters are often used to handling high caseloads. Typically, they are no strangers to hard work or difficult clients. Having been a buyer of law firm services, they may have a better insight once they are a provider of law firm services and be that much more adept in meeting client needs.

So … what do YOU think? Do adjusters make good attorneys? Weigh in on the issue by taking our latest poll!

1 comment:

Kevin Hromas said...

I obtained a JD prior to entering the insurance business. My actual intent behind acquiring the JD was due to my involvement in the political spectrum in the late 80's / early 90's. (Yeah - I know ... politicians are even lower on the food chain than attorneys!)After receiving death threats against my wife during my first attempt at political office, I decided politics pretty much sucked and decided "never again"!

I entered the claims business after closing my construction company in 1996. I feel my JD has definately assisted me in my development and understanding of the intricacies of the policy contract and the interactions within.